Subject: bulk package builds and not enough disk space
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/04/1999 08:47:57
Folks,

I'm working through building packages for the 1.4.1/pmax directory, and
have "only" a 2GB /usr and a 1GB scratch disk for WRKOBJDIR, so I'm
finding myself deleting a lot of installed packages as I build category
by category.  Every now and I notice that I've deleted a package that
is actually a dependancy of another, and off it goes and rebuilds that
package.

How does it sound (either as an option or the default - an option is
probably better) to look for a dependancy in .../packages/All before
rebuilding it from source?

One way of doing this would be to make another target in bsd.pkg.mk (say
"install-or-build") that first looks for the binary package then tries a
normal install.  I've looked at doing this, but I find bsd.pkg.mk a bit
scary at times :-)

Simon.