Subject: Re: vast_f90 license [was: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc]
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Dr. Lex Wennmacher <wennmach@geo.Uni-Koeln.DE>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/22/1999 22:26:36
On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 10:14:57PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> [moved here from source-changes]
>

> On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Dr. Lex Wennmacher wrote:
> > Why? From Pacific Sierra Researchs license terms:
> >
> > "7. Distribution Rights. A copy of the Software in its complete and
> > unmodified form as provided by PSR may be distributed or transferred by
> > Developer to any other individual person." [...]
>
> From the same license:
>
> ``9. Protection of the Software. Except as expressly authorized in this
> Agreement, Developer may not: (i) disassemble, decompile or otherwise
> reverse engineer the Software, or (ii) create derivative works based
> upon the Software, or (iii) rent, lease, sublicense, distribute,
> transfer, copy, reproduce, or timeshare the Software, or (iv) allow any
> third party to access or use the Software, or (v) modify the Software
> (including any deletion of code from or addition of code to the
> Software).''
>
> Not too clear to me... would you want to go and ask them?

No. To me the license is clear enough. The "Except as expressly authorized..."
in paragraph 9 lets paragraph 7 take precendence over subparagraphs 9(iii) and
9(iv).

I think we're allowed to redistribute their (unmodified) software. Any
lawyers on this list?  (you never know laws exactly enough :-)

-- Lex