Subject: Re: "make update" thought...
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Rene Hexel <rh@idle.trapdoor.vip.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/18/1999 08:02:59
Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> I'd prefer to see a "make fetch FETCHDEPENDS=yes", similar to
> what we have in clean and deinstall already.

  I agree.  We need a consistent way, however, of making these work for
'downstream' depends as well, i.e., for all packages depending on a
certain package.  The hardest problem here is probably to come up with a
useful syntax ;-)

  Some ideas:

  * make fetch FETCHDEPENDS=all

  * make fetch FETCHDEPENDING=yes

  * make update-fetch

  * make fetch-updates

  None of these strike me as particularly intuitive (especially to
distinguish between these and a FETCHDEPENDS=yes that fetches 'upstream'
dependencies).  Does anybody have a better suggestion?

  Cheers
      ,
   Rene