Subject: Re: where to put word processor packages, etc. (was: CVS commit:
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/04/1999 18:42:06
On 4 Sep 1999, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Personally, I don't think of spread sheets as "math" or word
> processors as printer programs. Having a "desktop applications" or
> "office" category is where I would logically look for such things.

Where would a graphical html editor go? "editors", or "office"? Why is
mswordview in textproc, gv in print, but xpdf in graphics? They are
all what I would consider "file viewers", but because there are two or
three equally poor choices for each, the categorization is purely
arbitrary. That's what I mean by saying that simply adding categories
would makes things even more confusing.

> More categories, especially if they are well named, *can* help.

"office" doesn't sound so bad, as long as you pull all of the X apps
out of print and textproc. Otherwise it's meaningless. Hard criteria
for how to sort would be appreciated. I'd prefer simple yes-no
questions, like "runs on X or doesn't run on X?", "creates files, or
only views them?" so that it's very clear exactly where any new
package will go.