Subject: Re: perl pkg
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@oreilly.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/05/1999 18:47:36
Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com> writes:
>I've been having fun using the "cpan" module's interactive mode. It's
>best described as our package system on steroids.

Last I looked it didn't handle local patches at all.  But that's been a
while.  We need to maintain local patches.

Personally, I loath the cpan module.  It's tendency to install the latest
untested versions might be nice for newcomers, but I prefer tested and
working packages over the latest bleeding edge version.

And how do you back out broken modules with the cpan module?
Only two weeks ago I've wasted way to many hours just to find out that
the latest CGI.pm was seriously broken and discovered that no fix would
be available in a reasonable time frame.

>My idea is to wrap cpan in a NetBSD specific script, so that modules
>installed in this way become full package citizens. All the p5-*
>packages will then reduce to one line "cpan" invokations, and modules
>for which no p5-* directory exists will get an entry in the database,
>as if one did.

I don't see how you can do that with many of the modules I've added during
the last months.

--
Christoph Badura					www.netbsd.org

	Anything that can be done in O(N) can be done in O(N^2).
	-- Ralf Schuettau (after looking at a particular piece of code)