Subject: Re: Change request for package system.
To: Reinoud Zandijk <zandijk@cs.utwente.nl>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/04/1999 23:04:14
On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:

: 1) Would it be posible for _binary_ packages to automatically install the
: packages they depend on either from the same directory or by fetching them
: themselves?

They do, if you use a fetch to grab the binary pkg in the first place (using
"pkg_add ftp://ftp....").  What we don't have is a way to make an
already-downloaded binary pkg fetch and install dependencies.

: 2) Would it be possible for pkgsrc packages to attempt to fetch the
: precompiled binary's first (for the relevant architecture) before trying
: to fetch the sources?

Hubery Feyrer has some modifications to do this for bulk builds, and if my
personal time comes back to a normal level soon, I may get back to
integrating them into the mainline.

: 3) Would it be possible for the make process to automatically create and
: even upload the compiled binary packages for others?

For the first part, "make package" suffices.

For the second, you'd have to upload them yourself to your own repository.
Ftp.netbsd.org only takes binary pkgs from registered developers.  (That's
not meant as an insult, it's just in the name of security.)

--
-- Todd Vierling (tv@pobox.com)