Subject: Re: INN package changed
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/30/1999 13:21:30
On 30 Jul 1999, Matthias Scheler wrote:

: > Was this peer reviewed?
:
: I discussed it with another package developer.

Unless "another pkg developer" == a pkgmaster, it was not peer reviewed.
That point aside:

: >  This goes hard against standard pkg practice.
:
: I know. But many INN binaries and scripts have hardcoded assumptions
: about the structure of the installation directory.

If you're referring to binaries in the inn distribution, the proper fix
would be to fix the hardcoded structure, as has been done for many programs.
We (are supposed to) try very hard to keep pkgs conformant to hier(7) in the
general case, and patching some source in inn probably wouldn't have been
particularly hard.

In any case, I'll just shut up now and let other people say yea or nay.  All
I wasnted to know was why this was done, in a little more detail than just
"addressing PR #...."

--
-- Todd Vierling (tv@pobox.com)