Subject: Re: mysql/alpha bug
To: Eric Ding <ericding@MIT.EDU>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/17/1999 16:03:44
On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Eric Ding wrote:

: used to store strings that can be larger than 255 characters.  On the
: Alpha port, creating a table with text (as opposed to varchar) datatypes
: and then adding entries in somehow corrupts the table.  If I try do a
: "select *" command, then the server will often crash.  When it doesn't
: crash, it shows garbled/chopped text or none at all.  I've included below
: a log from a MySQL session.

I've seen it.  It's very likely a thread-locking problem, as I've seen it do
things like make all rows of a column have the first four characters
correct, and then the rest are all the same for every row, i.e.:

    applchoke
    oranchoke
    lettchoke
    kiwichoke