Subject: Re: Proposal: Sort order for MASTER_SITES
To: None <david@fundy.ca, tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Martin J. Laubach <mjl@emsi.priv.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/17/1999 11:42:37
| >   To define the sort order, define a list of regular expressions
| > in order of decreasing preference, like this
|
| What about a step in installing pkgsrc [..] that would test hops
| and/or throughput to the master sites?

  Isn't that going a bit overboard?

  Two problems: people might not be happy if we do link measurements
over their 14k4 modem, and it (getting hop counts, pinging) won't work
if you are behind a firewall.

  On the other hand, I can see the benefit of a _non-automatic_ bandwidth
measuring step, so if I want to use that feature, I do a "make measure"
and it finds out the best mirror to use. Also, it should keep that info
somewhere (/var/db/pkg/?) since many of those hosts will occur over and
over again in different packages.

  So there is a benefit of having both. I just happen to have the
sort-by-name code handy...

	mjl