Subject: Re: ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/10/1999 15:56:18
On Thu, Jun 10, 1999 at 02:40:35PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Thursday, June 10, 1999 at 06:51:42 (+0100), Alistair Crooks wrote: ]
> > Subject: RE: ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES
> >
> > You have missed the point.
> >
> > Acceptable licences does not govern whether or not the distfile can be put
> > on a CDROM or stored on a mirror or other server.
>
> 	PUBLIC-DOMAIN
> 	GNU-GPL-V1
> 	GNU-GPL-V2
> 	GNU-LGPL-V?
> 	BSD-LIKE
> 	ARTISTIC
> 	FREELY-REDISTRIB

I think to satisfy all, you need

ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES  (which is USE of software requirements)
and
DISTRIBUTION_LICENSE (which involves ftp-mirroring, cdroms, email attachments)

Certainly some of the above like GNU-GPL-V1 may fit in both, but I think
it's needlessly convoluted to try to express 2 concepts in 1 variable.

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,