Subject: Re: Submitting binary packages
To: None <martin@uni-mainz.de>
From: None <agc@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/02/1999 07:34:08
> Matthias Scheler writes:
>  > In article <14163.43353.280779.776575@arthur.zdv.uni-mainz.de>,
>  > 	Christoph Martin <martin@uni-mainz.de> writes:
>  > > What is the recommended way to submit these packages to the archive?
>  >
>  > So far our policy is not to accept binary packags by non developers.
>
> So, if I understand it correctly, I have to become a developer, to
> submit binary packages for port vax eg. bash ?

Just to expand a bit on Matthias's statement above.

[The following does NOT imply that you have any malicious reasons,
it merely explains the situation a bit more fully.]

We thought long and hard about this when it first came up. The
problem is that binary packages have to be added by root, and so
there's a possibility of "problems". We decided early on that the
best way to get around these"problems" was by having a trusted user
create packages.

Whilst this does not preclude you from putting up binary packages
on your own web site, and announcing this fact on port-vax, in lieu
of digital signatures on binary packages a la RPM, I'm afraid that's
the situation.

Sorry,
Alistair