Subject: Re: Proposal: new binary package format
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/31/1999 21:22:59
In article <7iskoo$kal$4@colwyn.owl.de>,
	tron@lyssa.owl.de (Matthias Scheler) writes:
> And of course this way it is impossible to track files in several
> directories (see PR pkg/7649, "postfix" or "wwwoffl" package) e.g. in
> "${LOCALBASE}" *and* "${X11BASE}".

I must admit that I wrong with this assumption. Our current package
format and tools can handle several directories. It's only due to a
bug - you need to add a fake "@cwd" in front of the package list -
that it seems to fail.

But the current method requires a two step installation:
1.) Extract the files to a stage directory.
2.) Move or copy and delete them to their final destination.

To gain performance and to save disk space I would prefer if the files were
extracted *directly* - at least optional - to their final destination. And
that requires my suggested format change.

--
Matthias Scheler                                http://home.owl.de/~tron/