Subject: Re: Proposal: new binary package format
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/31/1999 20:24:45
On Mon, May 31, 1999 at 05:59:10PM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> In article <19990531193539.A723@antioche.lip6.fr>,
> 	Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr> writes:
> > While we're at it it would be nice if pkg_add could be told to not add
> > 'shareables files' (e.g. /usr/pkg/share/...).

Either by a special tag in the PLIST, or just exclude $PREFIX/share*.
I prefer the second one because it doesn't rely on the pkg author doing
the rigth thing.

> How do you want to recognize such files? The fact that a file is installed
> in "/usr/pkg/share" doesn't really mean anything.

Isn't /usr/pkg/share supposed to be shearable ? So I don't want to reinstall
the man pages on my sun which mounts /usr/pkg/share from my PC when I install
tcsh on it.
I can see a lot of environement where one would want to share /usr/pkg/share
and pkg_add should allow this. If you share it only between systems of same
$ARCH (all binaries local, but docs shared to save space) you can solve the
problem with rdist, but if you share is between differents $ARCH (think
diskless boot setups, or a mac with a 80Mb disk mounting stuffs from a
PC), then you have to extract the package by hand.