Subject: Re: pkg/TYPE
To: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/29/1999 04:21:00
On Fri, 28 May 1999, Miles Nordin wrote:

> Perhaps a better implementation of pkg/TYPE would use a special syntax to
> maintain the hallucination of a deeper category tree, superimposed upon
> our current one-level tree.  This is basically the same as what you said,
> except that the bytype/ symlink spaghetti is more than one directory deep,
> and it implies an understanding of objection (2) above.  Objection (1) is
> solved by assuming TYPE==category when pkg/TYPE does not exist--so the
> package appears in exactly the same spot under bytype/ as it does in the
> main category tree.

  I didn't fully grok this the first time, but I think you are right.
So instead of just an "irc client" TYPE, maybe "net/chat/irc/client."  Or
perhaps it would be better to not resemble the current structure ala
"client/chat/irc."  Hmmm... I guess the implementation needs quite a bit
more thought then I've given it.

  I'll put together a more specific proposal if the general idea of
creating a TYPE file is accepted.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@pgh.net