Subject: Re: php3-xxx combinations
To: Edwin Foo <efoo@crl.dec.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/27/1999 16:58:27
On Thu, 27 May 1999, Edwin Foo wrote:

: I've been looking through the php3-xxx packages - as I understand it, they
: add configure arguments to add support for xxx. But if I want to have more
: than one, say, mysql and ldap support, can I simply just run to
: /usr/pkgsrc/www/php3-ldap, make install, and then go to
: /usr/pkgsrc/www/php3-mysql, make install? It seems at first glance that it
: may not work that way.

It does, actually.  The php3 modules are dynamically loaded by adding

  extension=ldap.so
  extension=mysql.so

lines to php3.ini, or even using dl() in a php3 script.  Normally, php3 is
compiled statically with all the configure options; the packages in pkgsrc
have been designed to take advantage of php3's ability to load modules
dynamically.