Subject: Re: bsd.pkg.mk proposal 5: flexible distfile handling
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/27/1999 10:40:39
On Thu, 27 May 1999, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

: >   appropriate conditionalization inside the patches).  Patch names in these
: >   directories must match the pattern "patch-*".
:                                        ^^^^^^^^^
: Is there a particular reason for insisting on filename (other to get
: sort-order for applying them)?

Yes, actually - and I left this part out of the original proposal-5.

I intend to have the ability to include a set of patches from PATCHDIRS
conditionally.  That is, you can add patterns to the patch search list
depending on OPSYS, USE_ flags, etc.  Thought out that way, "patch-*" would
be considered the "default" set of patches.

: >     GLOB=URL
: >
: >   where GLOB is a csh(1) style glob pattern and URL is a directory URL.
: >   While iterating the DISTFILES list at fetch time, entries in MASTER_SITES
: >   with a GLOB must match the distfile in order to use that URL for fetching.
:
: Um, can you give some examples here?
: Is this to say "only fetch these few files from there"?

Right.  For example, for netpbm:

MASTER_SITES=	ppmtopng-*=ftp://ftp.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de/pub/grafik/png/application \
		ftp://ftp.wustl.edu/graphics/graphics/packages/NetPBM/ \
		ftp://ftp.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de/pub/netpbm/ \

I've been thinking about the separator, '=', and had the idea that '::'
might be better visually.