Subject: Re: your mail
To: None <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regenesburg.de>
From: Bernd Salbrechter <bernd@mycity.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/07/1999 23:39:50
On Wed, 5 May 1999 Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Wed, 5 May 1999, Bernd Salbrechter wrote:
> > I like support to hold the sources of local developed packages in the
> > package tree (/usr/pkgsrc).  I really need to follow the GNU structure
> > (autoconf) in my own packages.

Ok a bad starting statement.

> Um, pkgsrc is a framework to get packages going, not a storage area for
> sources of any kind[*]. With this in mind, I'd strongely encourage you to
> publish your package somewhere in the usual .tar.gz fashion, and then just
> add a package.
>
> That way, people not using NetBSD or the NetBSD Packages System can use it
> as well.

I think you missed the point. I ask to add a marker in the package, at
that side, which maintains the package (.tar.gz and the NetBSD-part) and
OLNY THERE. The NetBSD Package System should worke as it do it now, except
the place and the format of the DISTFILE should be changed if the
marker exist. The Package System supports different formats allready, i.e.
shell archives.

> [*] With 1-2 Well-justified exceptions.

Are "pkg_add" fall into this? I looked for the 1.3.3 distfile for
it, some weeks ago and couldn't finde it; grabed it from
NetBSD-current/usr/src/...  I saw some discusion about the maintainens
of the directory "distfiles". Isn't the long term plan to have a
disributiton, which have a "pkgsrc.tgz" and a "distfiles", which
hold all files referenced from "pkgsrc.tgz". At least for CDROMs
this will be need. That Marker would say to the maintainer "Hey I
have to make the distfiles".

--Bernd