Subject: Re: newbie question about upgrading pkgtools
To: Fischer, Roger <RFischer@PanAmSat.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/23/1999 04:57:36
On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Fischer, Roger wrote:
> If I sup the /usr/pkgsrc directory, and I need to
> move up to newer pkgtools, do I need to remove the
> old ones first?
> (i.e.
> 	cd /usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_add
> 	make deinstall
> 	make clean
> 	make install?
>
> If I deinstall the pkg_add command, how can I install
> the newly built package? (I told you it was stupid!)

it's pkg_install, not pkg_add...

You don't want & need this; even more, you *can't*, as the pkg_install
package doesn't register itself as all the other packages do.

> What's the difference between "make deinstall" and "pkg_delete somepkg.tgz"

The former is only a more convenient form of the latter - you don't have
to know the exact package name and version. (and you don't add the .tgz on
pkg_delete :-).

> What's the difference between "make install" and "make reinstall"?

Usually, all the targets in bsd.pkg.mk use timestamp files to prevent
running a target twice. If you want to do a "make install" again, you
first have to remove that timestamp file, which is what "make reinstall"
does.

> If I do a "make" in the "/usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools" directory, will it make
> everything beneath it?

Looking at pkgsrc/pkgtools/Makefile - no.
It only goes for pkglibtool and pkglint and leaves out the others.

This is on purpose, as these "others" modify your system, which you should
state explicitely if you really want it.

> some of this might make more sense to me if I had more programming
> experience, but I don't.  So far I've been very impressed with the
> package system, but I'm still a little confused where the general
> compiling and "make" commands leave off, and where the "package system"
> begins.  It seems kind of like a big cloud to me.

Try reading bsd.pkg.mk ... :-)

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>