Subject: Re: Mosaic dependency, and a larger picture...
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/13/1999 14:07:03
On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, David Brownlee wrote:
> 	The pkg_check script I've written provides this information.
> 	It would be a useful tool for those who update packages.
>
> 	I've also added a 'check distfiles' option so you can work out
> 	what outdated distfiles your machine has :)

What do these two do?
At least the further sounds like it may better be merged into pkglint - no
much point in running yet another checking-utility besides pkglint (for me
:)...

> 	Hmm... it might be more maintenance and 'magic' values,
> 	particularly as it will not apply to all packages (depending on
> 	the value of "some" :).
>
> 	I'd prefer to just have a tool which people can use after
> 	upgrading a package.

For doing what, exactly?

> 	The current version is at:
> 		ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/incoming/abs/pkg_check

Hum... looking at the usage (which is the only thing that gives me an idea
what this does), this *really* sounds as if it should go into pkglint.

Other notes:
 - 0 comments, makes reading this a bit less fun :)
 - s/Scanning pkgsrc md5/Scanning pkgsrc-distfile md5/ to avoid confusion
   about what this actually does.
 - By what I understand, scan_packages() only checks if the pkg directory
   after the ":" in the DEPENDS value exists, but doesn't do a check of
   the version, which would have been needed to detect the recent Mosaic
   issue. IIRC, checking of the pkg-dir is already done by pkg_lint...
 - I thought I mailed out another approach to distfile-cleanout last week,
   but it seems this didn't get through (...). The basic idea there is:

    * cd /usr/pkgsrc
    * mkdir distfiles/.OLD
    * mv distfiles/* distfiles/.OLD	# Move all the files aside
    * make distfile-cleanout		# Move the _neede_ ones back
    * rm -fr distfiles/.OLD

   Where the distfile-cleanout target in every package does (pseudo-code):

    for $f in ${DISTFILES} ${PATCHFILES} {
        mkdir .../distfiles/${DIST_SUBDIR} if not there
        mv .../distfiles/.OLD/$f .../distfiles/$f

   This is probably a bit slower with all the recursive make(1) calling,
   but I was able to free several hundred MB of diskspace on my two
   distfile repositories both at home and here.

   If there's interrest in that code, let me know. :)

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>