Subject: Re: pkg/7339: emulators/linux_lib missing two execs in PLIST
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: John Darrow <John.P.Darrow@wheaton.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/08/1999 10:41:38
> John Darrow <John.P.Darrow@wheaton.edu> writes:
> > emulators/linux_lib is missing @exec lines to make the usr/X11R6/lib/X11
> > and usr/lib/X11 symlinks (in emul/linux).  This causes a binary package
> > generated from this pkgsrc to not create these links, leading to subtle
> > breakage in shared-lib-using linux binaries, such as Netscape.
>
> I have no such links and I have no "subtle breakage" that I can detect
> running Linux Netscape. "What breakage????"

Just tried it.  Moved the two links out of the way.  Ran netscape.

[60] jdarrow@jdarrowpii:ttyp3:~:$ flpath netscape
4102 0 lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  16 Mar 25 04:02 /usr/pkg/bin/netscape@ -> communicator-4.5
/usr/pkg/bin/netscape: symbolic link to communicator-4.5
[61] jdarrow@jdarrowpii:ttyp3:~:$ netscape
Bus error
[62] jdarrow@jdarrowpii:ttyp3:~:$

With those links in place, it works fine.
(Note that this is the US-only version of netscape, installed using a
package copied from www/communicator with the md5 modified, and the
file already pulled down via the form on the netscape web page).

> In general, why would the emulation subsystem need such links, given
> the way it works?

Ah... I think I've tracked down the problem.
The version of communicator which the original package pulls down is 4.5,
exportable, from the ftp site.  The modified package uses 4.51, domestic.
One of the changes between Netscape's 4.5 and 4.51 tarballs when I built
the modified package was that Netscape removed the nls subdirectory.
Apparently, netscape still tries to open /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/nls.
Without the link in place, the first attempt done by our emul system
(the open in emul) fails, and since we don't include /usr/X11R6/lib/nls
in our X distribution, and since netscape's 4.51 tarballs no longer include
it (and, since our communicator/navigator packages will, inevitably,
move on to 4.51 or beyond, we can't rely on the tarballs containing said
directory), netscape crashes.

No matter what we think about the links, though, the distfile includes
them, and the netbsd patches don't remove them, so the PLIST _should_
include them.  Netscape is probably not the only program which tries to
open files in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11, files which might be in the linux_lib
package but not our X distribution.

> Perry

jdarrow

--
John Darrow
Computing Services, Wheaton College, Wheaton, IL