Subject: Re: USE_PERL5
To: Julian Assange <proff@iq.org>
From: Dean Huxley <dean@huxley.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/31/1999 18:10:25
Julian Assange <proff@iq.org> wrote:
> Dean Huxley <dean@huxley.org> writes:
>
> > If USE_PERL would have looked for perl-5.* instead of perl-5.00404
> > everything would be fine.
>
> The problem here is that wildcards are (thus far) useless for binary
> packages dependencies. Can you see why?

Sorry, I didn't actually mean that perl-5.* should be put in the
depends line.  I was being vague in the implementation hoping someone
else would figure things out for me.  ;-)

I was thinking of something along the lines of:
.if defined(USE_PERL5) && !exists(${LOCALBASE}/lib/perl5)

although someone else smarter than me could easily come up with a
better, cleaner solution...