Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc
To: None <root@garbled.net>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/30/1999 17:28:23
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net> writes:
> (moving this to tech-pkg)
>
> On 30-Mar-99 Hubert Feyrer spoke unto us all:
> #  On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Tim Rightnour wrote:
> # > Update of /cvsroot/pkgsrc/japanese/micq
> #  Um, why on earth is this in "japanese"?
> #  So far, all our "chat" clients are int "net"...
>
> Here is why I put it in japanese:
>
> #1 It's a japnese language-ready pkg.

So is fvwm2. So are several other packages. Why aren't it in
"japanese"? I'll tell you why. PUTTING EVERY INTERNATIONALIZED PACKAGE
IN A DIRECTORY NAMED AFTER ONE (AND ONLY ONE!) OF THE LANGUAGES IT
SUPPORTS IS STUPID, THAT'S WHY.

By your reasoning, all our other packages should be in a directory
called "english". Indeed, so should this one, since it works in "english".

> #2 It's in japanese in FreeBSD.

Big deal. If they do something stupid, do we have to do it too?

> I guess the bigger question raised by all this is, where do we want packages
> like this to go?

In their own directories. As people internationalize things (and
eventually everything will be internationalized), perhaps a list
telling people what sort of internationalization has been done for
what packages would be useful so people could find packages that
support their language.

>  What is the purpose of the "japanese" category?
>
> a) It's for pkgs that support japanese.
> b) It's for pkgs that only support japanese.

If it has any use at all, its got to be "b)".

> c) It's where we duplicate pkgs in other categories, with japanese support.

.pm