Subject: Newbie questions
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Timothy Coltman <tim@auroral.freeserve.co.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/11/1999 23:53:20
Hello,

I'm new to this list and I have a couple of questions:

(1) There seems to be a rather ambiguous situation in the pkgsrc tree
regarding the gtk10 and gtk packages. I looked through the mailing list
archives and some kind soul said that the problem has/would be sorted
out? Is it yet? I built gtk+-1.0.6 a while back, and I've also got
1.2.0 built too, however they don't seem to like living together. Should
I rebuild 1.0.6 so that it takes into account the mods to the tree?
GIMP seems to hate 1.2.0, so I had to extract the 1.0.6 shared lib
files from my 1.0.6 package and stick them in /usr/X11R6/lib, and use
these with the 1.2.0 headers and assorted binaries. Is there a better
solution?

(2) I've managed to make some packages of my very own, namely
libxml-1.0.0 and I'm almost done creating freetype-1.1 (both needed
for GNOME). They seem to work fine (surprisingly) and I've tested them
out a few times. How can I get them added to the pkgsrc tree? In
the Packages.txt document, it states that you should use the 'sup'
program to do this. Unfortunately I'm connected to the internet not
through NetBSD but through my computers "original" operating system
(RISC-OS in case you're interested). How should I go about adding
my additions to the tree? Could I stick an email on this list saying
"go to such-and-such a page and download files X,Y and Z?" Or what?

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers,
tim

PS I really think pkgsrc is cool. It makes installing/compiling stuff
*SO* easy. Thanks, guys!

--
tim@auroral.freeserve.co.uk