Subject: Re: pkg_admin rebuild destroys interdependency lists?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Segmentation Violation. Core dumped. <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/08/1999 09:32:38
You're right, of course, Hubert!  I was just not looking closely.

I do notice, however, that if, on the path to an upgrade, you de-install
something on which other packages depend, the upgraded package no longer
contains the "required-by" criteria.

I am going under the blind assumption (assume is really three words
in the English language, I know...) that eventually pkg_create[%] will
have an upgrade feature in which when pkgname-1.4.x -> pkgname-1.4.(x+1),
the packages which require this package will also be updated.

If this is not the case, it ought to be.  Due to a lack of disk space,
I need to clear stuff out a lot, and I don't want to have to rebuild
all the packages involved just to upgrade the "requires" of each one.

Of course, if I'm missing something here, please say so.  I went thru
the manual pages for all the pkg* (sans delete) things, and I didn't...um,
_notice_ anything that related to this at all, but you never know when
greywolf->clue <= 0.

				--*greywolf;
--
I'm really a software toolsmith and a musician by trade, but nobody really
needs a software toolsmith much, and the music industry is so cutthroat