Subject: Re: free BSD pkg on NetBSD
To: Guy Santiglia <fredfl2@soback.kornet21.net>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/05/1999 10:49:06
On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, Guy Santiglia wrote:

> I'm trying to construct a package from FreeBSD on my NetBSD 1.3.3 system.

>   I'm not sure where to start.  Should I copy that freeBSD directory
> ftp://sunsite.kren.ne.kr/pub/OS/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports/korean/Wnn
>
> over to my /usr/pkgsrc directory and start editing the Makefile and such.

Yeah, I'd start with 2 things.  Copy the FreeBSD package over, also look
over some of the NetBSD packages for guidance.  Then carefully go over the
FreeBSD stuff and make any changes needed to make it NetBSD friendly.

> I was reading the package constructer's guide  in the
> /usr/pkgsrc/Packages.txt file to learn how to do this.
>
>    Can some one tell me what is the best way to start this project?
> And where is a good place to get more instructions about constructing a
> package?
Thats where I started.

>   Do HAVE TO construct a package in order to install Wnn4.2.tar.gz on
> NetBSD or is there an easier way that I am over looking?
You don't have to make a package for new programs, but I prefer to do it
that way for several reasons.  They are (not in order of importance)

1)  I can cleanly deinstall later (which you may want to do when upgrading
    to a newer version of the program).

2)  If a new version of the program comes out, you have a good record of
    what it took to make the old version go and that can really help in
    making the new one go.

3)  Others can benefit from your efforts by having the package availble.

4)  It helps promote NetBSD by having lots of packages available and also
    if the program author is willing to link to the package page it gives
    good advertising.

Best of Luck,

Dan