Subject: Re: did the "make reinstall" functionality get slightly broken in 19990119?
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/03/1999 02:41:48
[ On Wednesday, March 3, 1999 at 00:56:10 (+0100), Hubert Feyrer wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: did the "make reinstall" functionality get slightly broken in  19990119?
>
> I've placed two patches to bsd.pkg.mk and pkg_delete up at the URLs below,
> please try them out, they shut up that "key is already present" messages
> for me. Please let me know[*] if this works for you.
>
> http://rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de/~feyrer/pkg_delete-O.part1

This *looks* good -- very good in fact!  Thanks for the very quick
turn-around.  Unfortunately I've not yet actually tried it though, and I
doubt I'll have time to do so until much later this week or early
next week....

> http://rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de/~feyrer/pkg_delete-O.part2

I think this change needs to be applied before the PKG_DBDIR is removed
else pkg_delete won't have anything to work from....

> (I still do not think that FORCE_PKG_REGISTER should be used here, the
> handling in bsd.pkg.mk is broken, hence this fix).

Perhaps we can agree to disagree on this point.  I realize that
FORCE_PKG_REGISTER is as much of a hack as anything else, but it does
serve a useful purpose for me.  I think your proposed change to
pkg_delete and the bsd.pkg.mk rules will eliminate the noisy output from
it once again.

> [*] I've had trouble in the past with replying to you, mail to you bounces
>     because my mail host doesn't have a MX record. Please make sure you
>     use some sane mail address if you want an answer from me!

All mail to me will require the domain name in the SMTP envelope sender
address to have a valid MX, no matter what address you send it to -- at
least for all addresses that I'll read more often than once in a blue
moon.  That doesn't mean the sending host needs an MX though....

--
							Greg A. Woods