Subject: Re: did the "make reinstall" functionality get slightly broken in 19990119?
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/02/1999 12:56:03
[ On Tuesday, March 2, 1999 at 12:37:00 (+0100), Hubert Feyrer wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: did the "make reinstall" functionality get slightly broken in  19990119?
>
> On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > I don't think it should be doing this (it never did before either) --
> > especially since this happens with the perscribed procedure for doing
> > re-installs without deleting the package.
>
> These warnings come from the pkgdb, which complains (validly) that files
> are about to be overwritten. I wonder how exactly you got there - if I do
> a "make install ; make reinstall" this doesn't work and I do have to do a
> "make deinstall" in between, which makes sense to clean things out (not
> only the pkgdb things!):

But as the message says:

>       If you really wish to overwrite the old package of xsnow-1.40
>       without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
>       in your environment or the "make install" command line.

(though it should probably say "make reinstall", at least that's the
case for all instances I've ever had to use it....)

I.e. I do:

	make
	su
	make install
	# hack PLIST or post-install rules, etc.
	make reinstall FORCE_PKG_REGISTER=yes
	# hack PLIST or post-install rules, etc.
	make reinstall FORCE_PKG_REGISTER=yes

ad nauseum....

I've now discovered that the first re-install works fine.  It's
subsequent ones that cause all the silly "warnings".

This procedure worked A-OK on both 1.3.3. and -current until the last
time I sup'ed pkgsrc and was forced to upgrade pkgtools.

FYI, my "when.pkgsrc" says I last re-sup'ed Tue Feb  9 08:18:01 EST 1999

> I'm curious which settings you're using to get the above error.
> Can you give me some "how to repeat" steps, and possibly any related
> settings from your /etc/mk.conf?

I don't think there's anything unique about my setup.  It happens on
both a 1.3I machine, and on a 1.3.3 machine, each with a different
LOCALBASE and various other differences, but both are using
_PKGTOOLS_VER = 19990119.

I now see the problem too.  Setting FORCE_PKG_REGISTER only removes the
package-specific files in the ${PKG_DBDIR}.  It doesn't clean up the
merged database (i.e. pkgdb.byfile.db) at the same time, but it should.
I don't see an easy way to do that without re-building that part of the
database from scratch.  Perhaps pkg_delete needs the equivalent of
"pkg_create -O" to ``fake'' the deletion of the package.

--
							Greg A. Woods