Subject: Re: package tools need to be updated to 1999/01/19
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Incorrigible punster -- do not incorrige <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/30/1999 09:34:42
Yes, but do you see what it would do if your "make install" did a "make
clean" first?  "make install" does not seem to require having done a "make"
first in most cases, at least not in the main source tree (I admit to not
having tried it in the pkgsrc tree not wishing to get bit).  It usually
chugs along cheerfully trying to install things that are not there.

[install: depends upon clean]
[make clean]
[make install]
*** make:  Bitterly complaining about non-existent targets to install
*** (did you wrongly do a make clean first?)

*** Error code 1.

Stop.

So, again, I reiterate that it does not make sense to make clean before
making install, while it does make sense to make clean prior to doing
a make package.

make: Don't know how to make sense.  Stop.

				--*greywolf;
--
Humanocentric religions and ways of life have proven to be our undoing.