Subject: Re: package tools need to be updated to 1999/01/19
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/30/1999 15:19:50
On Fri, 29 Jan 1999 15:25:35 +0100 (MET)  Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, Todd Vierling wrote:
> > Do you mean `run by default' instead of `run the default'?  If `make clean'
> > then did a `make' automatically afterwards, we'd be very divergent from
> > other build systems... :)
>
> Heh - ``by''...
>
> No, let "make" (or "make install" or "make package") run "make clean" by
> default. (RPM does this to ensure it starts out with a clean dir, which I
> consider a good thing - given that one can switch that off :)

That could cause problems.  I tend to "make" as me, and then "make
install" as root - this goes for everything, NetBSD pkgsrc, GNU stuff,
you name it.  Now, I'd have this disabled in /etc/mk.conf (or whatever),
but I suspect others might have problems...

Maybe if any of the .*_done files were older than some preset (and
configurable) time limit a warning could be given...

Simon.