Subject: Re: splitting pkgsrc.tar?
To: Robert V. Baron <rvb@cs.cmu.edu>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/29/1999 15:16:56
On 29 Jan 1999, Robert V. Baron wrote:
> you need to do is create
> 	net/coda5_client
> 	mk as a link to /usr/pkgsrc/mk
> This lets you build but all the packages dependencies fail.

No - just put another path in your coda5_client Makefile as long as you
test, and that's it. BTW, what I'm doing for testing pkgs, I create them
in pkgsrc with a .work suffix, e.g. net/coda5_client.work. That way, it
doesn't get clobbered by anything.

> What I'd like to suggest is that we/you go back to absolute path names
> and root the tree at /usr/pkgsrc.  The base tgz would populate it.

1. No, because there are people out there who have more than 1 pkgsrc
   tree with different bsd.pkg.mk's. Absolute paths will bite them
2. It's been decided against base.tgz setting up /usr/src and /usr/pkgsrc.
   You won't need these unless you actually compile things.

> And you would release periodic upgrades for mk,pkg_* independent of
> the base system and synchronized with the package system.  I think

That's what we have in pkgsrc right now - guess why it's there.

> that the package system itself then can be placed anywhere in the source
> tree.  (Now using absolute pathnames to the mk and package stuff.)

You can override all these absolute paths in mk.conf if the need arises.
(mk.conf or make command line)

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>