Subject: Re: splitting pkgsrc.tar?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/29/1999 08:07:51
On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

: > pkgsrc/mk/*
: > pkgsrc/pkgtools/*
: >
: > This way you would conceivably be able to update one pkg at a time if so
: > desired.
:
: I'd prefer to not see this happen, as it makes it easier for people to
: only partly update their pkgsrc, and exp. if they only contain the
: packages and not mk and/or pkgtools, they will miss the whole point why we
: included exactly these two in pkgsrc, and didn't leave them in the main
: distribution.

Well, the problem is that pkgsrc is getting big.  And people are going to
want to be able to do one-offs without having to have a chunk of disk
reserved at all times for an extracted pkgsrc.

>From my current calculation, pkgsrc does take up 20MB of space -- not `a
lot', but that is a chunk that you have to keep reserved if you say that
pkgsrc `must' be updated as a unit.  Top that off with the 2MB tarball that
you need to start it out, downloaded over a slow link, and you end up with
some annoyed users.  This isn't the first time it has been brought up,
either.

(Not to mention that because pkgsrc is riddled with inodes, a fsck of that
partition takes a little longer than I'd like, which is why I selectively
`cvs update' the bits that I need on my production box.)