Subject: tangled web for pkg update
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/18/1999 01:41:18
Is there any plan for a different way to handle package updates?  I went
to build Mosaic on one of my machines today and it wanted xpm-3.4k.  No
problem, I build that.  But, I already had xpm-3.4j installed so I
couldn't install 3.4k.  I went to pkg_delete xpm-3.4j to make way for
xpm-3.4k, but xpmroot depended on xpm-3.4j.  Oops, fvwm2 depended on
xpmroot.  Anyway, the point is that to do a minor upgrade of a package
almost required 'pkg_delete *' and a total reinstall of several packages.

Is there a way to handle these minor updates to a package in a slightly
cleaner way?

Dan