Subject: Re: netscape (binary package)
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Jim Bernard <jbernard@ox.mines.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/12/1999 06:48:31
On Sun, Jan 10, 1999 at 06:22:44PM -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jan 1999, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>
> : Actually, MOZILLA_HOME is pretty much $PREFIX/netscape these days, not in
> : lib anymore.  FWIW :-)
>
> Heh.  I suggested lib/netscape rather deliberately.  :)
>
> (Since there would be a wrapper script, you could conceivably just dump it
> all under lib/netscape and be done with it.  $PREFIX/netscape is Ugly.)

  But the hier(7) police say:

     lib/      archive, profiled, position independant archive, and
	       shared libraries

Lib is no longer the dumping ground it was traditionally.  It's quite
unfortunate that a number of packages have been using it as such, contrary
to the prescription of hier(7)---the /usr/pkg/lib directory is looking more
and more Linux-ish all the time.

  If the netscape distribution has architecture-specific subdirectories
(I don't have one available to check at the moment), you can put it in
$PREFIX/share/netscape.  Otherwise libexec or libdata would be candidates,
though neither quite fits.

  You might also consider creating a new subdirectory for such things, like
$PREFIX/packages, intended for monolithic packages that should all be kept
in one place rather than distributed throughout the normal directory
structure.  This would require amending hier(7).