Subject: Re: netscape (binary package)
To: Todd Vierling , Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: SAVE MY WALRUS <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/11/1999 12:28:42
Todd Vierling sez:
/*
 * Whether or not to put executables in lib--well, you *can* conceivably split
 * the netscape pkgs up to use different directories, but it's painful.  `lib'
 * is oft a catch-all for third party software.

This, I believe, is the point Jason was trying to make.  It oughtn't be
a catch-all for anything.  Locations should be well thought out.  /lib
is for libraries (hey, fancy that).  We have libexec for programs which
are executed by other programs (usually system stuff, but I used to use
/usr/libexec/cpp directly until it changed locations!), and libdata
for the data used by some of those files [I actually use libdata
for mail alias include lists, login denials on a case by case basis
and the like.]

Speaking of /usr/libexec, I _am_ curious to the exact definition of
what is supposed to be there.  It looks like a repository of daemons
which speak out to sockets or attach themselves somewhere besides std*.
In which case, shouldn't nfsd, nfsiod and pppd go there?

[...or am I etc.]

 */

				--*greywolf;
--
"I presume I need no introduction." -- Lestat