Subject: Re: Package paths: consensus?
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/11/1999 10:45:49
On Sun, 10 Jan 1999 12:32:56 -0500 (EST)  Greg A. Woods wrote:

> > Also, like now some packages (e.g. ssh) may have special requirements
> > that justify bending the rules.
>
> SSH's requirements are no different conceptually than those of any other
> package, or indeed of any software integrated into the system.

So you're arguing that ssh should look in ${PREFIX}/etc for it's config
files?

_I_ still prefer looking for config files in /etc, but I can certainly
live with the ${PREFIX}/etc -> /etc thing.  However, I'd be pretty hard
pressed to believe that ssh (for example, and there's no others I can
think of) would look in a possibly shared directory for *sensitive* host
information.

Simon.