Subject: Re: Package paths: consensus?
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@t.dk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/10/1999 02:53:00
On Sat, Jan 09, 1999 at 07:07:53PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Sat, January 9, 1999 at 15:00:58 (-0800), Curt Sampson wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: Package paths: consensus?
> >
> > Well, I campaigned for having a way to separate them if somebody
> > wanted to, but I was pretty much shot down here. I can accept that,
> > though, because I feel that separating them is the extremely odd
> > case, not what would typically happen.
>
> That wasn't the impression I got -- It seemed to me that only one person
> was shooting and a whole bunch of other people voted for the "A" option
> without showing that they understood the implications.

FWIW, I think what most want(ed) is not so much A itself as 'not B'.

I can think of several variations of A/C that make some sense.

Examples.

/etc/pkg/fooapp/* and /var
/etc/fooapp and /var

Also, like now some packages (e.g. ssh) may have special requirements
that justify bending the rules.

--
Soren