Subject: Re: Package config/var file paths proposal
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/09/1999 23:26:07
On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, Curt Sampson wrote:

: > : If I understand you correctly, this means that, for example, the
: > : package with /var/games would be separate from the package with
: > : /usr/games.
: > :
: > : What's the reasoning behind this?
: >
: > NFS disk clients, if I recall.
:
: Last I had a discussion with you, there was no need for this. I
: suggested that we have a /usr/pkg/share/examples/packagename/var
: directory in which sample var files would be deposited, and you
: said that everything was going to create its own var files.

For the moment, the base system sets barely know what pkgs are, much less
have this kind of logic.

: But it does seem, that unless you're very careful, it's going to
: be possible for less-savvy folks to miss downloading the var portion
: of the thing.

`Bundled sets', again.  :>