Subject: Re: Package config/var file paths proposal
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/09/1999 19:44:38
On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, Todd Vierling wrote:

> : If I understand you correctly, this means that, for example, the
> : package with /var/games would be separate from the package with
> : /usr/games.
> :
> : What's the reasoning behind this?
>
> NFS disk clients, if I recall.

Last I had a discussion with you, there was no need for this. I
suggested that we have a /usr/pkg/share/examples/packagename/var
directory in which sample var files would be deposited, and you
said that everything was going to create its own var files.

Of course, that was quite a while ago, so I may be misremembering it.

But it does seem, that unless you're very careful, it's going to
be possible for less-savvy folks to miss downloading the var portion
of the thing.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.