Subject: Re: Package paths: consensus?
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Not for internal consumption <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/09/1999 17:06:24
Curt Sampson sez
/*
 * On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, Not for internal consumption wrote:
 *
 * > 2.  Config files in /etc which are used by packages will likely only
 * > be used by packages unless NetBSD has chosen to integrate them into
 * > the base system, so you're unlikely to overwrite them until you install
 * > the next version of the package, and even then the pkg system will
 * > probably not overwrite them.
 *
 * Woah! The package system would *never* overwrite anything in /etc.
 * Period. That's a hand upgrade from the diffs of the old and new
 * example configs in /usr/pkg/share/examples.
 *

What I meant here was that:
If we integrate the package into NetBSD and someone does a foolishly
wholesale upgrade of /etc without checking first, something will
get clobbered, but that is the extreme case.  I was under the impression
that the /etc file would get clobbered iff the old one was miraculously
untouched.  I thank you for the correction, and I favour the behaviour
stated.

 * cjs
 * --
 * Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
 * The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org
 *
 */

				--*greywolf;
--
Microsoft:  Living proof that Borg screw Ferengi.