Subject: Re: Default package installation: intermixed vs. separate
To: Thorsten Frueauf <s_frueau@ira.uka.de>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/09/1999 15:10:27
On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, Thorsten Frueauf wrote:

> And with our current pkgsrc its already possible to install there.

Only under two conditions:

    a) You compile it yourself

    b) You know how pkgsrc works.

a) is likely not true for many new-to-NetBSD users; b) virtually
always not true for all of them.

As lots of people have pointed out, the defaults don't matter that
much for people who know what they're doing. That's current NetBSD
users. That's why I feel we should set the default to what's
convenient for the new, unknowledgable users: they won't know how
to change them like we do.

> Another reason: at install time, we give users a rough amount how
> big partiition will be. With packages in usr you can't do that
> anymore.

True enough, but lots of other systems get around that just fine.
You just say `you'll need more space for packages, if you add them,'
and give estimates of what they might want.

> I was always glad that I can seperate systems bins and pkg bins, and
> I don't want to see that changed.

I have NEVER proposed changing that. If anybody starts interpreting
my posting this way, we're going to get a flamewar.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org