Subject: RE: Default package installation: intermixed vs. separate
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/09/1999 08:48:22
On 09-Jan-99 Curt Sampson spoke unto us all:
#
#  Todd Veirling and I have a proposal to bring forth soon regarding
#  default paths and whatnot in packages; the last flamewar^Wthread
#  on this cleared up one of the areas in which we were not sure what
#  direction to go. The other area has to do with separating or
#  intermixing packages.
#
#  Anything in /etc, /var or /usr/X11R6 is intermixed with the system
#  already. However, other things destined for {bin,sbin,lib,share,etc.}
#  go under /usr/pkg/... rather than /usr/....
#
#  Now, the /usr/pkg paths will stay compiled into all the binaries,
#  but it's possible to intermix the binaries by symlinking
#  /usr/pkg -> /usr rather than making /usr/pkg a separate directory.

I read this about 3 times and dont understand exactly what it is that you are
proposing here.  Remember now, that I have explicitly ignored this entire
thread.. but I do make a point of reading these proposals..

I think I'm just missing the context here..

---
Tim Rightnour  -  root@garbled.net
Free Multi-Platform Operating System: http://www.netbsd.org