Subject: Re: Default package installation: intermixed vs. separate
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Thorsten Frueauf <s_frueau@ira.uka.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/09/1999 11:53:21
Hello!

Just my two cents in this thread - I don't like and want to install
packages into /usr. And I would really hate if it would be the default.

And I really don't think this change will attrackt any new users.
Its a long tradition that third party stuff gets seperated, the
historical place for that is /usr/local. And with our current pkgsrc
its already possible to install there.

Another reason: at install time, we give users a rough amount how
big partiition will be. With packages in usr you can't do that
anymore.

I was always glad that I can seperate systems bins and pkg bins, and
I don't want to see that changed. If its an *option* to install
all into /usr (like it is already), then fine. But let the user
*purposly* decide that.

At least I won't support a pkg system any longer that installs default
to /usr.

Greets
--
   Name  : Thorsten Frueauf            Milano@irc cri@onaliM       //