Subject: Re: Package config/var file paths proposal
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@t.dk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/09/1999 01:10:09
On Fri, Jan 08, 1999 at 11:33:13PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Trouble Free RecepPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF wrote:
> >  * Not yet.
> > I don't like the sound of that.
>
> Hehe...
> Fact is, that our current tools couldn't support this properly even if we
> decided to do so. I won't say that we should stuff pkgsrc stuff into /usr.

There has been some talk of splitting the standard distribution in pkg's.

I'd prefer if the existing medium-sized standard distribution remained as
one entity. It is really nice having a known base system.

However, there might be some value in creating a "dummy" pkg for all
the system-supplied files. The reverse-mapping you (Hubert) have
been talking about could be used to say 'this is a system file' and
we would get MD5 checking "for free".

--
Soren