Subject: Re: Package config/var file paths proposal
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/08/1999 12:55:57
[ On Fri, January 8, 1999 at 12:07:38 (+0100), Manuel Bouyer wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Package config/var file paths proposal
>
> On Jan 7, Curt Sampson wrote
> > Currently, when working on getting the install procedures and PLIST
> > for a package set up properly, it's pretty easy to end up with junk
> > files lying around. It would be nice to have a simple way of getting
> > rid of these. One way is to be able to put everything in a separate
> > tree while developing. I'm open to other methods, but I've not seen
> > one yet.

Indeed.

> Here's what I do:
> find / /usr -xdev > /tmp/files1
> < install package>
> < pkg_delete the package>
> find / /usr -xdev > /tmp/files2
> diff -u /tmp/files1 /tmp/files2

That's pretty heavy-weight, esp. for a tiny package (and needs some
refinement with sort and comm instead of diff....  ;-)

> This will tell you which files are not properley handled by the
> PLIST, and always has been enouth for me.

Ideally there should also be a way to "make DESTDIR=/tmp/foopkg install"
in a new package and then run "pkg_mkplist /tmp/foopkg" to create a new
prototype PLIST.  (similar to pkgproto(1) under SysVr4.)

--
							Greg A. Woods