Subject: Re: Package config/var file paths proposal
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Thorsten Frueauf <s_frueau@ira.uka.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/08/1999 18:35:30
Hello!

> Currently, when working on getting the install procedures and PLIST
> for a package set up properly, it's pretty easy to end up with junk
> files lying around. It would be nice to have a simple way of getting
> rid of these. One way is to be able to put everything in a separate
> tree while developing. I'm open to other methods, but I've not seen
> one yet.

Read section 8 (Debugging) of pkgsrc/Packages.txt :-)

I use the following method:

1) touch /tmp/blah
2) cd pkgsrc/new/package
3) sort pkg/PLIST -o /tmp/splist
4) make
4a) su root
5) make install
6) find /usr/pkg /usr/X11R6 /usr/local -newer /tmp/blah -print > /tmp/files
7) sort /tmp/files -o /tmp/sfiles
8) vi /tmp/sfiles and remove the /usr/pkg/|/usr/X11R6/ via :%s/\/usr\/pkg\//
9) diff -u /tmp/splist /tmp/sfiles

Which normaly shows the @dirrm commands at first, and I can spot the
files missing from PLIST. I know this mehtod can be improved :-)

Greets
--
   Name  : Thorsten Frueauf            Milano@irc cri@onaliM       //
   E-Mail: s_frueau@ira.uka.de oder ukfy@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de     \X/