Subject: Re: Package config/var file paths proposal
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/08/1999 12:16:10
On Jan 7, Curt Sampson wrote
> If that's the case, why have any separate directories for packages
> at all? Why not just install the files in /usr/bin, etc.?

I can see 2 reasons for that:
- on small disks machine, I want to have the base system on the local disk
  but the additional packages (which can be big, look at TeX of emacs)
  on a server. Try to do that with a redhat or debian install ...
- on -current machines, I want to have a clear distinction between the
  binaries from the base system and third parties binaries (which comes
  often from precompiled packages, and thus are 1.3.x binaries).