Subject: Re: Package config/var file paths proposal
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/07/1999 14:39:34
On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Todd Vierling wrote:
> A: config files go in /etc, volatile files in /var
> B: config files go in $PREFIX/etc, volatile files in $PREFIX/var
> C: config files go in /etc/pkg, volatile files in /var/pkg

C is out of question, if we want pkgs config files seperated from system
config files, we use $PREFIX/etc.

A and B are about equally good to me, esp. given that we will (probably :)
soon have ways to query pkg information given on filenames (i've started
this, and although I'm not done yet, it looks very promising).

I'd prefer A.

But! I don't know how the current pkg-tools will handle these absolute
paths in the PLIST. We'll have to think about that, too, as the config
file must be put into the pkgdb as well. Maybe some
"@conf /etc/foorc share/foo/foorc.conf" command that will DTRT is the best
here (copying/backing up if necessary, handling pkgdb, ...). Some custom
@exec/@unexec hacks aren't the proper solution to this.
(But we should discuss the exact semantics here after this proposal is
agreed upon.)

>  BC ... all pkg-related files may be removed with a `rm -rf' including
>         binaries and config/volatile files

Now that's really something every user will need once a day...!

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>