Subject: Re: pkg vs. rpm
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/05/1999 02:02:42
On 4 Jan 1999, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> > I consider this a (-) because it has the potential to be a SPOF.
>
> I consider this to be a huge plus. All the time, I look at files in
> the system and would love a utility to point at them and say "what
> package did this come from"? This is a major thing missing from our
> current package system. If you want to maintain both a master database
> and separate CONTENTS files, be my guest, but we need the single
> database (preferably db'ed so it can be looked at FAST).
>
> > I don't see much real advantage here; something like grep across the various
> > CONTENTS would work for us.
>
> That's bloody slow if you are going through a couple hundred files
> with a script.

*nod*
I've looked into that matter a bit further, and I think it would be
possible to add such a binary database for mapping file->pkg without
replacing anything else. Having this would enable us to query information
by not giving a package name but a filename:

% pkg_info -F /usr/pkg/bin/cjpeg
Information for jpeg-6a:

Comment:
IJG's jpeg compression utilities.

(This is just an hyphotetic example, I don't have any code (yet :-))

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>