Subject: Re: pkg vs. rpm
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/04/1999 11:48:54
Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com> writes:
> On Tue, 29 Dec 1998, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>
> :  + list of files belonging to a package aren't stored on a per-package
> :    base, but rather are stored in one place, allowing mapping of a single
> :    file back to it's package (so you can find out which package a file
> :    belongs to)
>
> I consider this a (-) because it has the potential to be a SPOF.

I consider this to be a huge plus. All the time, I look at files in
the system and would love a utility to point at them and say "what
package did this come from"? This is a major thing missing from our
current package system. If you want to maintain both a master database
and separate CONTENTS files, be my guest, but we need the single
database (preferably db'ed so it can be looked at FAST).

> I don't see much real advantage here; something like grep across the various
> CONTENTS would work for us.

That's bloody slow if you are going through a couple hundred files
with a script.

Perry