Subject: Re: How does a ELF system find libs at runtime?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Thorsten Frueauf <s_frueau@ira.uka.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/04/1999 14:30:44
Hello!

> cc -Wl,-R/path/to/libraries -o file ...
> This is known as `rpath'.

Ok, I guess we need to always provide that to pkgs then. We seem to
set that as LDFLAGS in bsd.pkg.mk, but this seems not always go its
way to the build env...

> Then there's something wrong with the X11R6 imake configuration.  It should
> certainly know to use rpath (whether -R or -rpath, both are the same).  This
> works for Alpha; it seemingly needs fixing for mips.  Is your X11R6 up to
> date from the 1.3.3 distribution, as well?

I have the X11R6 sets that are shipped with 1.3.3, yes. But I think the
xlockmore package does not use imake, it uses GNU configure... so it
somehow never sees or ignores our LDFLAGS. I bet other packages suffer
from this too.

> This is reinventing ld.so.conf, which we are trying to avoid.  The intent is
> to make X11 and pkgsrc completely nondependent on such crutches.  ;)

I know that... but still this would help as fallback to make live
easier. At least /usr/local seems to be in there...

Greets
--
   Name  : Thorsten Frueauf            Milano@irc cri@onaliM       //
   E-Mail: s_frueau@ira.uka.de oder ukfy@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de     \X/